Crestone Eagle Community Media
August 25, 2021, update: Please note that we are currently working on an earlier tax filing issue with the IRS that has affected our nonprofit status, so any donations after this date are not tax-deductible. We hope to resolve this issue soon, but because of severe backlogs with the IRS, we may not have resolution until year-end, or early 2022. We appreciate your understanding.
—The CECM board
Crestone Eagle Community Media (CECM) was formed to purchase, sustain and strengthen the Crestone Eagle. Our mission is to produce trustworthy local news in rural Saguache County, to promote community engagement, enhance economic development and connect residents throughout this low-income, isolated region. CECM, a 501(c)3 nonprofit, will bolster this monthly newspaper’s well-established tradition of reporting on the area’s environmental and social concerns, the arts, and the spiritual centers that make this community so unique.
Under CECM’s guidance, The Eagle will serve an expanded geographic area and boost its online presence to keep readers updated on current affairs. By holding public officials accountable, it will challenge readers toward a deeper understanding of complex issues and encourage public participation in addressing them. Our long-term goal is to evolve an innovative model for nonprofit community journalism.
Why we need nonprofit ownership
Like most newspapers in Colorado and around the country, the Eagle generates its revenue through advertising, subscriptions and single-copy sales. Changing technology, however, has affected how people get their news, and the proliferation of social media has threatened the stability of local news outlets, including the Eagle.
Nonprofit news organizations, therefore, are being developed with a mission to serve communities’ information needs and benefit the public rather than generate private wealth. This kind of journalism is fundamental to a healthy, democratic society.
The Crestone Eagle, under CECM ownership, will diversify its revenue sources, providing the newspaper with access to individual and corporate donations, sustaining memberships and grants from multiple sources, particularly for its work to serve those whose voices have been ignored historically or misrepresented in the media.
Help Support Our Mission
How the Eagle will benefit:
* Stability. Diversified revenue sources will provide job security for employees and relieve seasonal or periodic stress over potential dips in ad sales.
* Staffing. Revenue from donations or grants will allow the Eagle to hire and/or train needed staff to strengthen its news reporting and online presence.
* Sustainability. Resulting growth in readership, fueled in part by population growth and regional business development, will bring additional advertising and subscription revenue to the Eagle.
How the community will benefit
* Access to information. The Eagle will keep readers informed about current issues affecting Saguache County, its various municipalities and the Baca Grande Property Owners Association; provide health, emergency and public safety notices; promote environmental awareness; and present relevant information about schools, education, public and community service.
* Public engagement. People, including many newcomers to the area, who understand local issues and are well informed about community organizations will seek out and find ways to get involved and make a difference. Educational events, perhaps co-sponsored with schools or libraries, will encourage participation and alleviate feelings of isolation.
* Economic development. Through both advertising and editorial content, the Eagle, will connect businesses and consumers, as well as job-seekers and employers, thereby contributing to a thriving and prosperous community.
How you can help
If you would like to make a tax-deductible donation to help us achieve our goals, you can do so here or by sending a check payable to Crestone Eagle Community Media, and mailing to CECM, P.O. Box 101, Crestone, CO 81131. Thanks for your support!
If you have any comments, suggestions, or would like to volunteer, please e-mail us at: email@example.com.